17 August 2008

To the US Army- A Day Early!

Micah and I were expecting him to leave for the hotel for the US Army on Thursday and fly out Friday. But after meeting his recruiter on Tuesday, we found out Micah was to go to the hotel Wednesday (13th) and fly out Thursday (14th). That threw us for a loop since that meant in 24 hours we needed to get everything ready. One day might not have seemed like a lot to others, but to us, it was priceless. Oh well, so goes the Army, right? We tried to wrap things up and make the most of the time we had together.

The time at the hotel was nice but sad. (FYI: The recruits have to go to a hotel the night before they fly out. It's standard. Just in case someone tries to skip out, the US Army has time to hunt them down!) It was hard for Micah to say goodbye to the family but I kept trying to remind him it is not forever, just a few months. I don't know how encouraging that was though. I try to hang on to that truth myself and be thankful: it is not years, or even forever- our time apart with Micah in Georgia and me and the boys in Minnesota is ONLY months, praise God.

The boys and I, along with Audra his sister, got to see him the next morning at Fort Snelling for a few minutes. We got to watch him officially swear in, and then had to say our final goodbyes.

He loaded the plane to Chicago around 2pm. He had to switch planes in Chicago to pick up more recruits and then off to Atlanta, Georgia. He arrived in Atlanta around 6pm our time, ate dinner, and then loaded a bus to Fort Benning, GA. I don't know what happened after that. The last time he could use his cell phone was in Atlanta. I am anxiously awaiting a phone call from him hopefully today. If not today, I will most likely have to wait another week to hear from him. I will let you all know when I know! Thanks for all your prayers and support!

5 comments:

The Petersons said...

Hi M&M,

Love your blog! I especially like the patriotic colors. =)

Praying for you both daily! Love you both tons!

~Amber

bruce said...

OK,
I've got you in my bookmarks now. Thanks for starting this blog.
Love, B

jerarbw said...

Great way to keep everyone up to date on how Micah is doing and how you and your boys are doing. I hope you are able to hear from Micah soon and that the Lord will strengthen you both.

:) Amanda

PS. I went to high school with Micah.

Anonymous said...

So glad that we can keep our newest military family in our prayers! This blog will be a great way to keep up with you. Let us know if we can do anything here in the south to help you out! Hey, I think our due dates are about the same....crazy huh?

Brenda said...

I'm glad you have this blog going. Give Micah my best! As soon as you have his address let us know and we'll send him a letter of encouragement :)